You can’t beat a slice of banana bread and the past year has seen an even greater explosion in its popularity. This healthier version revises the classic sweet bread into a lower fat banana bread recipe using a sourdough base. Don’t worry that low fat means low flavor, our naturally leavened sourdough low fat banana bread recipe still results in a moist, buttery slice of heaven. The sourdough starter provides the bread with a distinctive sweetness and the texture of banana fudge, thanks to the slow fermentation which develops a flavour that is out of this world.
What is the best way to add flavour to a lower fat banana bread recipe?
For best results, alongside the sourdough starter, use overripe bananas. As bananas ripen the starches are converted into sugar and develop a smooth, creamy texture. This combination is ideal for baking, as well as being rich in antioxidants and easier for digestion, the bananas mash to form the bread dough and provide natural sweetness.
How to use a banneton bread basket for banana bread?
To keep the shape of traditional banana bread, use a banneton basket when proofing the loaf overnight then simply transfer to a tin and bake. The final result is a perfectly formed banana loaf in the signature shape topped with a decorative sliced banana.
Is banana bread good for weight loss?
Typically banana bread contains high levels of sugar and calories associated with flour however this recipe focuses on a low fat banana bread recipe in a weight watchers style. The aim was to create a very low calorie banana bread recipe which also contained low fat, allowing us to indulge guilt-free and still enjoy a sweet treat whilst being healthy.
Bananas contain essential nutrients, especially potassium, supplying the body with high fibre content and low calories. The combination of valuable micronutrients provide benefits for heart health, digestion and weight loss. Our healthy low fat banana bread also contains walnuts which are rich in antioxidants and heart healthy fats, plus chia seeds which hold a long list of benefits, one of which being a positive effect on digestion and gut health.
Included below is a full breakdown of the nutritional information per serving, to incorporate the low fat banana bread recipe into your weight watchers daily calorie intake. Only 122 calories and 5.7g fat per portion this is significantly less than the standard slice of banana bread whilst still being a deliciously irresistible dessert bread.
Low Fat Banana Bread Recipe
The ultimate recipe for low fat banana bread using a bread proofing basket.
Servings: 1 loaf
Preparation 15 minutes
Proof 8 hours
Cooking 1 hour
Total 9 hours 15 minutes
Mixing bowl x 2
10-inch MadeTerra oval banneton basket
10-inch loaf tin
3 overripe bananas
100g coconut oil
100g brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
1 tsp fine salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp chia seeds
225g sourdough starter
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Mash the bananas – Peel two bananas and place into a mixing bowl, use a fork to crush the bananas into a rough mash.
2. Combine the wet ingredients – Into the mixing bowl of mashed banana add the coconut oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla extract, whisk together until evenly mixed.
3. Combine the dry ingredients – In a separate mixing bowl stir the plain flour, fine salt, ground cinnamon and chia seeds.
4. Prepare the dough – Pour the bowl of dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and fold together using a spatula. Then add the sourdough starter and chopped walnuts, bring the dough together to incorporate without overmixing.
5. Proof the dough – Transfer the banana bread dough into a lightly dusted 10-inch MadeTerra oval banneton proofing basket and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to proof at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight.
6. Prepare oven and loaf tin – After proofing the dough will have risen slightly, prepare a bread tin by lining with parchment paper which overlaps the sides, this will allow the bread to come out easily once baked. Preheat an oven to 180C and tip the banana bread batter into the loaf tin.
7. Bake the banana bread – Slice the remaining banana in half and lay onto the surface of the dough to form a decorative banana presentation. Place the loaf tin into the preheated oven for 1 hour and bake until set.
Saturated Fat: 3.6g
Dietary Fiber: 1.1g